HE CAME...TO GIVE LIFE
“Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners” The Message Paraphrase, I Timothy 1:15
A rather crude way of communicating the truth of I Tim. 1:15 is to say, “HE CAME to give LIFE to dead people!"
The unpopular reality is that every human ever born is spiritually dead. Separated from God. We have:
- No capability to rely on God
- No way to draw on the power of God (John 15:5)
- No ability to communicate intimately with God (I Pet. 3:12)
- No capacity to please God (Romans 8:7,8)
- No means to even understand the things of God (I Cor. 2:14)
- No possibility of spending eternity with God (Rom 6:23)
Not a pretty picture!
But Jesus came to change all of that. He came to make a way for every spiritually dead person (that would be all of us) to be made alive.
It won’t happen any other way. Jesus Himself said, “I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6)
Through out time, people have attempted to acquire “spiritual life”
- By living a “good life”
- By religious acts (confirmation, baptism, etc
- By acts of kindness toward others
- By church attendance
- By keeping dozens of man made rules
But none of these work!
Spiritual life doesn’t come by us attempting to reach God… it comes by God reaching down to us which is precisely what He did when Jesus came to earth. After living His life perfectly, He went to the cross where He died. By dying, Jesus paid the penalty for our sin and by inviting Him into our lives as Savior, “even while we were dead God MADE US ALIVE with Christ and forgave all our sins (Col 2:13)
Spiritual LIFE… which includes ETERNAL LIFE… is a gift to any of us “dead humans” who receive Christ. (John 1:12) and when we receive Christ…
- We are invited to rely on God (Psa. 37:5)
- We are able to experience God’s power (Eph 1:19)
- We communicate intimately with God (Jn 10:27, 28)
- We can even please God (Heb. 13:15, 16, 21)
- We are capable of understanding the things of God (II Cor. 2:12)
- We will spend eternity (life forever) with God (Jn 5:11,12)
“By believing you have LIFE in His name” John 20:31
HE CAME to give us LIFE!
Do you have it?