SMALL GROUP STUDY QUESTIONS
Here are the study questions for the book "What is the Gospel" from 9 Marks.
INTRODUCTION and CHAPTER ONE • FINDING THE GOSPEL IN THE BIBLE
- Write down in simple terms the Gospel message (at the end of this study let’s do this again, and see what we learned).
- What kinds of false or incomplete Gospels have you heard in your life?
- How central should the Gospel be in the life of Wellspring Church?
- If you were asked to show someone “the Gospel” in the Bible; where would you take them?
- To whom are all people accountable? Why is this so important?
- What is the great problem that mankind needs to deal with, above all others?
- What is God’s solution to that problem?
- Why is this good news, and why is it important to me?
CHAPTER TWO • GOD THE RIGHTEOUS CREATOR
- Do you feel as if you have a large enough view of God? Discuss.
- What are some common misconceptions that we or our friends have about the nature and Character of God?
- Read Genesis 1:26-27. What implication does this truth have on our lives?
- Are we autonomous beings? If not, who do all people answer to?
- Read Exodus 34:6-7: How many sins will God leave unpunished?
- Read Habakkuk 1:13: To what level will God execute His Justice?
CHAPTER THREE • MAN THE SINNER
- Do you view sin more like a "traffic ticket" or more like "treason". Discuss (Be honest ;-)
- Considering God's great generosity in creation, how offensive is sin?
- Read Romans 3:23 & Romans 3:10: Who is a sinner, who is good?
- Read Isaiah 59:2. Discuss.
- What is the solution to this problem?
CHAPTER FOUR • JESUS CHRIST THE SAVIOR
- When understanding/sharing the Gospel, how important is it to understand the “bad news” before we hear/share the Good news?
- Why must Jesus be fully man to save us?
- Why must Jesus be fully God to save us?
- Read Isaiah 53:4-5: How is this the heart of the Gospel?
- Read Romans 8:33:34: Discuss the power of the resurrection, and what it means for us.
CHAPTER FIVE • RESPONSE, FAITH and REPENTANCE
- What is faith? (Hint: trust)
- Read Romans 4:18-21: As a Christian, what are we having faith in Christ for? What are we believing that he will do?
- Read Acts 26:20: What is repentance?
- How can a person know if they are saved? Read Luke 6:43-45
CHAPTER SIX • THE KINGDOM
- As a group, talk through and react to some of the rewards of being a Christian (1 Cor 2:9).
- What is the Kingdom of God? How does God's Kingdom differ from the kingdoms of this Earth (Ps 145:11-13)?
- What was so radical about Christ's message when He said, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" in Matthew 3?
- Discuss the hope we have as Christians while we wait for the kingdom of God to be completed. See Isaiah 65:17-19.
- Read Romans 6:4-11. What is the calling of a citizen of God's kingdom?
- Even though we as Christians are citizens of the kingdom, it doesn't mean life is easy. How do you press on through darkness?
CHAPTER SEVEN • KEEPING THE CROSS AT THE CENTER
- In what ways does society attempt to center the Gospel on something other than the cross of Jesus Christ? Why is this attractive? Why is it dangerous?
- Why is a simple proclamation that "Jesus is Lord" not the Gospel?
- Consider Gilbert's summary of the "Creation-Fall-Redemption-Consummation" idea on page 106. What are some omissions from this idea of the Gospel that make it erroneous?
- How does "Cultural Transformation" miss the point of the Gospel of Jesus Christ?
- How do we keep the cross of Jesus central to our own theology of the Gospel?
CHAPTER EIGHT • THE POWER OF THE GOSPEL
- When was the last time you allowed yourself to truly be in awe of the power of God in the gospel of Jesus Christ? What are some things that crowd out the glory of the cross from our lives?
- Why are we able to rest in Jesus?
- What are some ways this book has challenged you? How has God spoken to you through the book?
- Consider Romans 10:14. How will you bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world?
- What do the truths of the gospel cause you to long for?